What Is Winning Solo?
Freelancing, self-employment, knowledge work, soloism – whatever you call it, it’s best viewed as an exercise in lifestyle design.
It’s your chance to build the life of your dreams.
One of my core beliefs is that there’s no such thing as “work-life balance.” There is only life balance. Work is just one part of life.
So we must design our work to fit into our larger goals and values.
That’s been my focus for the 20+ years I’ve been independent – to create an efficient and effective solo business that fits into my vision of what I want my life to be.
And I started Winning Solo to share those ideas and concepts with you.
Winning Solo is for you if:
- You value your independence, and you intend to keep it.
- You want the freedom to pick your clients and projects, and to do meaningful work on your terms.
- You value control – of your calendar, your income and your physical and mental health.
- You’re good at “doing the work,” but struggle with some of the other aspects of flying solo.
- You’re willing to put in the work.
What Winning Solo stands against:
- “Hustle culture,” in all meanings of the phrase. I’m not here to work myself to death, and I’m not here to hustle anyone. I’m here to serve.
- Anyone who suggests freelancing is easy. It’s not, and some people simply aren’t cut out for it.
- “One-size-fits-all” advice. Strategy is situational. And that includes the strategy required for your one-person business to succeed.
- The “six-figure freelancing” crowd. Six-figure years have long been the norm for me. But it’s also an arbitrary goal, and one that may or may not appeal to you. Winning Solo is about success on your terms, not someone else’s.
Self-determination has created all the good things in my life. My mission with Winning Solo is to share what I’ve learned with you – the good, the bad and the counter-intuitive – so that you may enjoy the freedom, balance and success you deserve.
I hope you’ll join me.
Two Ways I Can Help You
The Soloist Sundays Newsletter
Get tips for improving your earnings, longevity and balance – in less than five minutes of reading time.
Let’s build something just for you. Whether it’s positioning, pricing, nailing your offer or reclaiming your life balance – you name it, I’ve probably found an answer to it in the 20+ years I’ve been solo.
Hey, I’m Matthew. Welcome!
In 1997, at age 27, I launched my one-man consultancy, Three Deuce Branding, which I still run today.
Over 20 years later, that decision is responsible for almost all the good things in my life.
During that time, I’ve reached some very high highs, made plenty of mistakes, and survived at least three economic downturns.
I’m not going claim that I have some “secret” that will triple your revenue by Tuesday or give you a 10-minute workday. Leave that nonsense to the scammers in your spam folder.
On the contrary, I’m a Midwestern guy who has earned 94% of my revenue via repeat & referral, working with brands you’ve actually heard of, for over two decades.
I launched Winning Solo in 2021 to help other freelancers, consultants and soloists to enjoy longevity, balance and success on their terms. It’s my goal to be an experienced voice you can trust in this space.